1. Some people believe that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Others argue that it is better to try and improve such situations. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2. Some people say that the main environmental problem of our time is the loss of particular species of plants and animals. Others say that there are more important environmental problems. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
3. Some people say that music is a good way of bringing people of different cultures and ages together. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
4. Nowadays many people choose to be self-employed, rather than to work for a company or organisation. Why might this be the case? What could be the disadvantages of being self-employed?
5. Living in a country where you have to speak a foreign language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
6. Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
7. Some people say History is one of the most important school subjects. Other people think that in today’s world subjects like Science and technology are more important than History. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
8. In spite of the advances made in agriculture, many people around the world still go hungry. Why is this the case? What can be done about this problem? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
9. Some people want the government to spend more money for looking life on other planets, however others think it is waste of public money when there are so many problems on earth that the government should be solving. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
10. Some people believe school children should be given multiple short vacations, while others believe they should get one long vacation. Give the advantages of both and express your own point of view.
11. Students in school and university learn far more from lessons with their teachers compared to other sources, such as the television or the internet. Do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people believe that not all criminals should be kept in prison, but that some of them should be allowed to do unpaid work to help the community. Do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think the government should be responsible for solving the pollution problems which result from heavy traffic. To what extent do you agree?
14. People are less fit and active nowadays than in the past. What are the reasons for this? What measures can be taken to fix this?
15. Some people find it beneficial to send young children to nursery school before they go to primary school, while others think it is good to keep children at home with their family. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
16. Due to the use of the computers and mobile phones, letter-writing ability is disappearing. To what extent do you agree?
17. Some students tend to play computer games rather than do sports. Why is this? What can be done to tackle the problem?
18. Individuals should improve the environment or is it the government and large companies that should take action?
19. Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists, but not local people. Why this is the case? What can be done to attract more local people to visit these places?
20. Today, many people want to get married and have children in their thirties rather than when they are younger. Is it a positive or negative development?
21. Some people say that all students should study history as a major subject, while others feels that other subjects are important for children in today’s society. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
22. Some people believe that sleeping is the only method which allows people to get enough relaxation. Others believe that physical activities such as playing games and exercises also provide enough relaxation. Discuss both views and provide your opinion.
23. A growing population is a big problem in many countries. Should the government provide new homes in the cities or countryside?
24. Local people do not go very often to museums or historical sites. Why is that? What can be done to change the situation?
25. Stores should sell local food products and not the imported food products. Do you agree or disagree?
26. Some people say the Olympic Games are not relevant in the 21st century. Do you agree or disagree?
27. Tourism is encouraged in many countries. Does tourism bring more advantages or disadvantages to a country?
28. Some people think that the media (newspapers) have the right to publish details of people’s private life, while others think it should be controlled? Discuss both views.
29. Some people think that modern technology is making people more sociable, while others think it is making them less sociable. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
30. Online, people write product reviews and opinions about services. Is it a good thing or bad thing?
31. Some people argue that formal education should start for children as early as possible, while others think that it should not start until 7 years of age. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
32. Some physiologists recommend that it is important to overcome stresses by spending time do nothing. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
33. The education of young people is the main priority in countries around the world. Some people believe that educating adults who cannot read or write is essential for the society and more funding should be made available for it. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
34. The only way to solve the increasing crime rate of young offenders is to teach parents better parenting skills. To what extent do you agree?
35. Scientist have been warning for many years about the importance of protecting the environment and that we must limit the use of energy in our daily lives. Despite warnings, many people do not do this. What are the reasons for that and how people can be encouraged to take an interest in protecting the environment?
36. Some people believe that a great difference in age between parents and children is more beneficial. Do you think the advantages of a greater difference in age between them outweigh the disadvantages?
37. As a country develops, people tend to buy more cars. Do the advantages for the individual outweigh the disadvantages for the environment?
38. Some people believe that universities should only offer places to students with high marks, while others believe that people of all ages should be allowed even if they don’t do well in school. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
39. The world of work is changing rapidly. Working conditions today are not the same as before and people no longer rely on taking one job for life. Discuss the possible causes for these changes and give your suggestions for how people should prepare for work in the future.
40. Some people think that to reduce traffic and pollution, the government should increase tax on petrol (gasoline). Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
41. Social media has replaced the traditional methods of communicating, and people use more and more social media to communicate, and to follow news and events. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
42. Some people believe bicycles have a lot of advantages, whereas others believe bicycles have more disadvantages. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
43. Some people prefer to plan activities for their free time very carefully, while others disagree. Discuss both views, and give you opinion.
44. Some people think that the government should take care of disadvantaged people such as the unemployed and homeless people. Do you agree or disagree?
45. Museums and art galleries should concentrate on local works of art, not showing the cultures or artworks from other countries. To what extent do you agree?
46. Some people spend a lot of money on sports and cultural events. Do you think this is this good or bad?
47. Some people believe that robots are important for humans to develop their future, while others think that it is a dangerous invention that will impact society negatively. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
48. When designing a building the intended use of the building should be taken into account rather than its outward appearance. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
49. Nowadays people show more anti-social behaviour and a lack of respect to others. What are the causes of this? How could we improve the situation?
50. Some people think that dangerous sports should be banned? Do you agree or disagree?
51. Discuss advantages and disadvantages of working from home.
52. Many students choose to take a gap year before starting university, to travel or gain work experience. Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of time?