1. Normally children seek the guidance of their parents because they strongly believe that parents are the best judge of their children.
2. They have all the experience in the world and know us inside out to make the best decision for us.
3. But for one of my cousins there was a matter on which he had to look outside his family for help.
4. After completing his secondary education he was in a dilemma regarding his future choice of stream for higher education as he was presented with two major options of medical and non-medical.
5. In this regard his parents could not help him much because to make this decision he needed someone who kept abreast of latest developments in the field of education as well as career opportunities available after completion of higher study.
6. My cousin knew that I have keen interest in the field of technology and I always read about the latest developments happening in this field.
7. So he decided to take my counsel.
8. When he approached me with his problem, I immediately asked him about his interests and his long term goal.
9. He told me about his predilection for technology and accordingly I suggested him to opt for non-medical stream for his higher study.
10. It was fine as far as his interest was concerned but then he inquired about career choices that he would have if he chose non-medical.
11. To be honest he was a bit skeptical about non-medical because he knew few of his seniors who did engineering and were hard pressed to find suitable employment opportunities for themselves.
12. He shared his apprehension with me and I acknowledged the fact that things have changed a lot in recent years.
13. But I reassured him that if he chooses the relevant field and performs well then there is no dearth of opportunities.
14. I then apprised him of the couple of fields of technology which are growing in demand such as nanotechnology and biotechnology.
15. So on my suggestion he chose non-medical and so far things are on track for him.
16. He constantly keeps in touch with me and seek advice on the skills that he needs to acquire to give himself an edge over other students.