1. Education lays the foundation of a decent life for any individual.
2. It should be a fundamental right for every citizen.
3. I have been blessed with a family who deeply believes in the importance of education and has made sure that I have the best education possible.
4. I was an above average student in my school and my favorite subjects were maths and science.
5. These two subjects are paramount for intellectual growth of an individual as these challenge one’s ability to think and learn.
6. Maths is particularly important because of the basic skills it teaches us such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
7. These skills help us perform every day basic activities such as planning our family budget, paying for things and services that we buy and many more.
8. While these basic skills are the cornerstone of any mathematical teaching, there is one particular skill which I found really interesting and useful.
9. It is the ability to calculate probability.
10. I was taught about the concept of probability in my elementary school.
11. Probability as the name suggests is the ability to calculate the likelihood of any event.
12. It is a highly complex skill to learn as it requires counterintuitive thinking to calculate probability of anything.
13. But once I learnt this skill I realized how important and useful it is.
14. If we think logically then every decision we make in our lives is driven by probability.
15. Our decisions always have choices to make and we should make the best choice for us.
16. Now how do we decide which choice is best for us.
17. This decision should be made on the basis of event that is most likely to happen and which is deciphered by using the concept of probability.
18. For example recently my father decided to buy a car for the family.
19. We had shortlisted two models from two different manufacturers but could not decide any further.
20. That is when I used my probability skills to make the final decision.
21. I gathered some data points about both the models such as service centres of each company, number of cars sold each year, number of accidents these two models were involved in.
22. Then I used these data points to figure out that which car is more likely to last long with low maintenance cost using the probability method I learnt in school.