Part 1: Questions 1-5
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
1. What did Nadia buy at the bookshop?
C crossword puzzles
2. Thomas is interested in the play about
A a hunter
B a pirate
C a doctor
3. The couple in the bookshop were discussing
A a funny play
B a smooth play
C a boring play
4. How does Nadia want her coffee?
A sweet and black
B with milk
C black with no sugar
5. What kind of muffin does Nadia want?
How likely are Thomas and Nadia to visit the following attractions?
Write the correct letter A, B or C next to questions 16-20.
A they will definitely visit
B they might visit
C they will not visit
6. the Tower of London
7. the Wheel
9. the British Museum
10. Buckingham Palace
Part 2: Questions 11-15
Answer the questions below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
11. What time does the museum open on Thursday morning?
12. How much does it cost to hire a multi-media guide?
13. Where should visitors leave their coats and bags?
14. How much does it cost to leave a package there?
15. Where can visitors buy a cup of tea?
Label the plan below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
Part 3: Questions 21-30
Complete the notes below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
• Use scientific method based on empirical evidence (= (21) )
• Find a research problem or question
o a commonly held belief e.g. lack of sleep has negative impact on (22)
o Review the literature
o an everyday problem e.g. research different memorization (23)
• Define your variables
• Develop a hypothesis
• Conduct (24) research
o Books, journals, online databases and websites
o Make notes and create (25)
• Select an experimental design
o Pre-experimental = experimental group only
o Quasi-experimental = include control group but not random
o True experimental = both kinds of groups + random
• Standardize your (26)
o Compare like with like
• Choose your participants
• Use different (27)
o Random sample – sample from same group
o Stratified random sample – select from subsets with different (28)
• Conduct tests and collect data
• Analyse the results
o Use (29) methods (to be covered next week)
• Write up and communicate results
o (30) and of paper is important; tips for writing (to be covered in next two weeks)
Part 4: Questions 31-34
Complete the table below. Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER only.
Complete the summary below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
Rice gives more (35) per hectare than other cereal crops and production has increased over 100% in recent years because of better yields. Land area has only increased by 30% due to the need for wet land so availability of land is quite limited by (36) type and (37) supply. The dry-land variety gives poorer yields and poorer (38) No weed killers have been developed yet that do not harm the main crop. Heavy machines are unable to work in paddy fields so most rice is still grown (39)
Complete the diagram below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.