Part 1: Questions 1 and 2
Complete the notes below. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Report on abandoned vehicle
Name of caller: Mrs Shefford
Address: 41, (1) Barrowdale WH45JP
Vehicle location: in (3) near main road
Type of vehicle: (4)
Present color of vehicle: (6)
Vehicle number: S 322 GEC
General condition: poor – one (7) , cracked windscreen
Length of time at site: (8)
Land belongs to: (9)
Last owner: no information available
Other notes: vehicle does not belong to a (10) resident
Part 2: Questions 11-17
Complete the sentences below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
The story of John Manjiro
11. Manjiro started work as a when he was still a young boy.
12. He spent on a deserted island before he was rescued.
13. He became friends with William Whitefield who was a ship’s
14. The cost of Manjiro’s in America was covered by the Whitefield family.
15. Manjiro eventually returned to Japan, where he carried out important work as a teacher and
16. Fairhaven and Tosashimizu are now officially
17. Every two years, the John Manjiro is held in Fairhaven.
Label the map below. Write the correct letter A-I next to questions 18-20.
18. Whitefield family house
19. Old Oxford school
20. School of Navigation
Part 3: Questions 21-23
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
21. What is the main thing Julia feels she has gained from her experience in retail?
A better understanding of customer attitudes
B improved ability to predict fashion trends
C more skill in setting priorities in her work
22. Why is Julia interested in doing the postgraduate course?
A it will enable her to develop new types of technology
B it will allow her to specialize in a design area of her choice
C it will provide managerial training focusing on her needs
23. What would Julia like to do after she has completed the postgraduate course?
A work overseas
B start her own business
C stay in an academic environment
What does each university facility have?
Choose your answers from the box and write correct letter A-G next to questions 24-27.
B rooms for individual study
C inter-disciplinary focus
D introductory course
E purpose built premises
G emphasis on creative use
25. Computer centre
27. Time based media
Complete the summary below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
MA in fashion design: Assessment
Assessment includes three (28) which take place at the end of the stages of the degree. Final assessment is based on a project and includes the students’ (29) in the form of a written report and the (30) to which representatives of fashion companies are invited.
Part 4: Questions 31-40
Complete the notes below. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
The nature of laughter
• Laughter is a (31) process – involves movement and sound
• It is controlled by our (32)
Reasons for laughter
• Only 10% of laughter is caused by jokes or funny stories
• May have begun as sign of (33) after a dangerous situation
• Nowadays may help to develop (34) within a group
• Connected to (35) (e.g. use of humor by politicians or bosses)
• May be related to male/ female differences (e.g. women laugh more at male speakers)
• May be used in a (36) way to keep someone out of a group
Benefits of laughter
• Safe method for the (37) of emotions such as anger and sadness
• Provides good aerobic exercise
• Leads to drop in levels of stress-related (38)
• Improved the (39)
• Can stop (40) and improve sleep