Part 1: Questions 1-7
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Advice on surfing holidays
• Recommends surfing for (1) holidays in summer
• Need to be quite (2)
Irish surfing locations
• County Clare
o Lahinch has some good quality (3) and surf schools
o There are famous cliffs nearby
• County Mayo
o Good surf school at (4) beach
o Surf camp lasts for one (5)
o Can also explore the local (6) by kayak
• Best month to go (7)
• Average temperature in summer – approx. (8) degrees
o Wetsuit and surfboard – (9) euros per day
o Also available to hire (10) for warmth
Part 2: Questions 11 and 12
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO facts are given about the school’s extended hours childcare service?
A It started recently.
B More children attend after school than before school.
C An average of 50 children attend in the mornings.
D A child cannot attend both the before and after school sessions.
E The maximum number of children who can attend is 70.
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
13. How much does childcare cost for a complete afternoon session per child?
14. What does the manager say about food?
A Children with allergies should bring their own food.
B Children may bring healthy snacks with them.
C Children are given a proper meal at 5 p.m.
15. What is different abo t arrangements in the school holidays?
A Children from other schools can attend.
B Older children can attend.
C A greater number of children can attend.
What information is given about each of the following activities on offer? Choose FIVE answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-G, next to Questions 16-20.
A has limited availability
B is no longer available
C is for over 8s only
D requires help from parents
E involves an additional fee
F is a new activity
G was requested by children
Part 3: Questions 21-24
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
Holly’s Work Placement Tutorial
21. Holly has chosen the Orion Stadium placement because
A it involves children.
B it is outdoors.
C it sounds like fun.
22. Which aspect of safety does Dr Green emphasise most?
A ensuring children stay in the stadium
B checking the equipment children will use
C removing obstacles in changing rooms
23. What does Dr Green say about the spectators?
A They can be hard to manage.
B They make useful volunteers.
C They shouldn’t take photographs.
24. What has affected the schedule in the past?
A bad weather
B an injury
C extra time
What do Holly and her tutor agree is an important aspect of each of the following events management skills?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-H, next to Questions 25-30.
A being flexible
B focusing on details
C having a smart appearance
D hiding your emotions
E relying on experts
F trusting your own views
G doing one thing at a time
H thinking of the future
Events management skills
27. Time management
Part 4: Questions 31-40
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Bird Migration Theory
Most birds are believed to migrate seasonally.
• It was believed that birds hibernated underwater or buried themselves in (31)
• This theory was later disproved by experiments on caged birds.
• Aristotle believed birds changed from one species into another in summer and winter.
– In autumn he observed that redstart’s experience the loss of (32) and thought that they turned into robins.
– Aristotle’s assumptions were logical because the two species of birds had a similar (33)
• Charles Morton popularised the idea that birds fly to the (34) in winter.
• In 1822, a stork was killed in Germany which had an African spear in its (35)
– previously there had been no (36) that storks migrate to Africa
• Little was known about the (37) and journeys of migrating birds until the practice of ringing was established.
– It was thought large birds carried small birds on some journeys because they were considered incapable of travelling across huge (38)
– Ringing depended on what is called the (39) of dead birds.
• In 1931, the first (40) to show the migration of European birds was printed.