Part 1: Questions 1-10
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Owners’ names: Jack Fitzgerald and Shirley Fitzgerald
• available for week beginning (1) May
• cost for the week: (2) £
• (3) Cottage
• cost for the week: £480
• building was originally a (4)
• walk through doors from living room into a (5)
• several (6) spaces at the front
• bathroom has a shower
• central heating and stove that burns (7)
• views of old (8) from living room
• view of hilltop (9) from the bedroom
• deposit: £144
• deadline for final payment: end of (10)
Part 2: Questions 11-14
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
Local council report on traffic and highways
11. A survey found people’s main concern about traffic in the area was
A cuts to public transport.
B poor maintenance of roads.
C changes in the type of traffic.
12. Which change will shortly be made to the cycle path next to the river?
A It will be widened.
B It will be extended.
C It will be resurfaced.
13. Plans for a pedestrian crossing have been postponed because
A the Post Office has moved.
B the proposed location is unsafe.
C funding is not available at present.
14. On Station Road, notices have been erected
A telling cyclists not to leave their bikes outside the station ticket office.
B asking motorists to switch off engines when waiting at the level crossing.
C warning pedestrians to leave enough time when crossing the railway line.
Label the map below. Write the correct letter, A-l, next to Questions 15-20.
Recreation ground after proposed changes
15. New car park
16. New cricket pitch
17. Children’s playground
18. Skateboard ramp
20. Notice board
Part 3: Questions 21 and 22
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO benefits of city bike-sharing schemes do the students agree are the most important?
A reducing noise pollution
B reducing traffic congestion
C improving air quality
D encouraging health and fitness
E making cycling affordable
Choose TWO letters, A-E.
Which TWO things do the students think are necessary for successful bike-sharing schemes?
A Bikes should have a GPS system.
B The app should be easy to use.
C Public awareness should be raised.
D Only one scheme should be available.
E There should be a large network of cycle lanes.
What is the speakers’ opinion of the bike-sharing schemes in each of the following cities?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-G, next to Questions 25-30.
Opinion of bike-sharing scheme
A They agree it has been disappointing.
B They think it should be cheaper.
C They are surprised it has been so successful.
D They agree that more investment is required.
E They think the system has been well designed.
F They disagree about the reasons for its success.
G They think it has expanded too quickly.
28. Buenos Aires
29. New York
Part 4: Questions 31-40
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
THE EXTINCTION OF THE DODO BIRD
The dodo was a large flightless bird which used to inhabit the island of Mauritius.
• 1507 – Portuguese ships transporting (31) stopped at the island to collect food and water.
• 1638 – The Dutch established a (32) on the island.
• They killed the dodo birds for their meat.
• The last one was killed in 1681.
• The only record we have is written descriptions and pictures (possibly unreliable).
• A Dutch painting suggests the dodo was very (33)
• The only remaining soft tissue is a dried (34)
• Recent studies of a dodo skeleton suggest the birds were capable of rapid (35)
• It’s thought they were able to use their small wings to maintain (36)
• Their (37) was of average size.
• Their sense of (38) enabled them to find food.
Reasons for extinction
• Hunting was probably not the main cause.
• Sailors brought dogs and monkeys.
• (39) also escaped onto the island and ate the birds’ eggs.
• The arrival of farming meant the (40) was destroyed.