Part 1: Questions 1-5
Complete the notes below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS OR A NUMBER.
Destination: Harbour City
Questions: transport from Bayswater
• Express train leaves at (1)
• Nearest station is (2)
• Number 706 bus goes to (3)
• Number (4) bus goes to station
• Earlier bus leaves at (5)
Complete the table below. Write no more than one word and/or a number for each answer.
Part 2: Questions 11-14
Which counsellor should you see? Write the correct letter, A, B or C, next to questions 11–14.
A Louise Bagshaw
B Tony Denby
C Naomi Flynn
(11) if it is your first time seeing a counsellor
(12) if you are unable to see a counsellor during normal office hours
(13) if you do not have an appointment
(14) if your concerns are related to anxiety
Complete the table below. Write no more than two words for each answer.
Part 3: Questions 21-30
Complete the notes below. Write no more than three words for each answer.
Protagonists: Mary Lennox; Colin Craven
Time period: Early in (22)
Mary moves to UK – meets Colin who thinks he’ll never be able to (23) They become friends.
Point of view: “Omniscient” – narrator knows all about characters’ feelings, opinions and (24)
Audience: Good for children – story simple to follow
Symbols (physical items that represent (25) ):
• the robin redbreast
• the portrait of Mistress Craven
Motifs (patterns in the story):
• the Garden of Eden
• secrecy – metaphorical and literal transition from (27)
Themes: Connections between
• (28) and outlook
• (29) and well-being
• individuals and the need for (30)
Part 4: Questions 31-35
Complete the table below. Write one word only for each answer.
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
36. We are all present hedonists
A at school
B at birth
C while eating and drinking
37. American boys drop out of school at a higher rate than girls because
A they need to be in control of the way they learn
B they play video games instead of doing school work
C they are not as intelligent as girls
38. Present-orientated children
A do not realise present actions can have negative future effects
B are unable to learn lessons from past mistakes
C know what could happen if they do something bad, but do it anyway
39. If Americans had an extra day per week, they would spend it
A working harder
B building relationships
C sharing family meals
40. Understanding how people think about time can help us
A become more virtuous
B work together better
C identify careless or ambitious people