1. India is a land of rivers and lakes.
2. Every state in my country has its own networks of rivers and lakes.
3. All these rivers hold great significance in their respective states.
4. Some are important because these are associated with the mythology and some are important from economic point of view.
5. There is one river which holds a special place in the heart of every Indian and that is river Ganga.
6. It is the longest river in my country with a span of 2000 km.
7. It originates in the mountains of Himalaya and terminates by joining Indian Ocean in the bay of Bengal.
8. In Hindu mythology Ganga is not considered just a river, it is revered as a goddess.
9. There are many popular stories in which Ganga has been portrayed as a goddess and has been helping mankind since time immemorial.
10. It is a tradition among Hindus to submerge the remains of a dead person after cremation in Ganga because it is believed that by doing this the departed soul is accepted by god and hence rests in peace forever.
11. Ganga passes through more than 10 states in India.
12. In each state it is called by a different name and every state has its own story linked with Ganga.
13. But there is one common thing among all these states.
14. In every state there is one or two religious places of great significance located on the banks of Ganga.
15. While these shrines are primarily known for their religious importance, these have also become a great source of livelihood for the local citizens.
16. Because of their religious value these temples are visited by millions of pilgrims every year from all over India.
17. Such heavy footfall has turned these places into great tourist spots.
18. Tourism has generated employment for local citizens and has helped them to raise their standard of living.
19. Ganga has touched the lives of millions of people in my country and has contributed in some way or other positively.
20. I just have one concern and that is the growing contamination of Ganga because of some human activities.
21. Our government has taken note of it and has taken appropriate measures to keep our holy river clean.