Part 1: Questions 1-10
Complete the notes below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Cycling club notes
James is the club secretary
• Chance for members to enter (1)
• Extra fee covers meetings with guest speakers and (2)
• New members receive a free (3) for their bike
• Club meets in the village of (4)
• Tops with long sleeves and warmers for (5) available at a discount
• Payment for bike hire is on a (6) basis or per outing
Activities and events:
• This summer’s camping trip will be to the (7)
• Club runs a yearly (8) event for the local community
• Cycling shop telephone number – (9)
• Name of website – www. (10) .com
Part 2: Questions 11-15
Complete the sentences below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
11. The speaker describes letter writing as a
12. Writers used to use to exemplify their ideas.
13. Writers could talk about their in letters.
14. The speaker keeps her treasured letters in a
15. The speaker compares letters to a
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Tips for letter writing
• Find a (16) room
• Avoid using (17) which may not last
• Letters can act as a (18) (e.g. for seeking advice)
• Word every (19) carefully
• Ensure you use an appropriate (20)
Part 3: Questions 21 and 22
Choose TWO letters A-E.
Which TWO reasons do the students give for choosing the university they attend?
A the opportunities to study abroad
B the lower fees
C the wide choice of courses offered
D the location
E the reputation of the teaching staff
Questions 23 and 24
Choose TWO letters A-E.
Which TWO study groups are both students going to join?
A grammar focus
B conversation practice
C writing skills
D literature analysis
E listening skills
Write the correct letter A, B or C next to questions 25-30.
Which problems do the students agree each online resource has?
25. internet chat room
26. translation software
27. vocabulary builder
28. online dictionary
29. language lab
30. writing checker
A operates too slowly
B is not accurate enough
C has too few features
Part 4: Questions 31-40
Complete the sentences below. Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
Maths is the real world
31. Students need and persistence to succeed in maths.
32. Students also have a need to understand the of the subject.
33. It is the teacher’s role to make maths accessible. Maths is in everything we do, from using a to decorating a room.
34. Teachers should avoid using techniques involving or repetition.
35. People have applied similar for many generations.
36. Basic maths skills help us stick to a or understand trends.
37. Maths is essential in progressing our careers, much like skills.
38. It is also useful in hobbies like music or sailing. Students find it hard to see how maths relates to life outside school: studying risk assessment or makes this easier. Maths also helps us to find solutions to difficult life problems.
39. The way to study maths is to start from a of simple ideas and build up to more complex ones.
40. What teachers can do to help students see the point of maths; ask them to imagine life without calendars, watches, money or