Part 1: Questions 1 – 10
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Flanders Conference Hotel
Customer Services Manager – Angela
• weekend beginning February 4th
• the (1) room for talks, (projector and (2) available)
• area for coffee and an (3)
• free (4) throughout
• a standard buffet lunch costs (5) $ per head
• Rooms will cost (6) $ including breakfast.
• The hotel also has a spa and rooftop (7)
• There’s a free shuttle service to the (8)
• Wilby Street (quite near the (9) )
• near to restaurants and many (10)
Part 2: Questions 11 and 12
Choose TWO letters A-E.
Which TWO activities that volunteers do are mentioned?
C delivering meals
Questions 13 and 14
Choose TWO letters A-E.
Which TWO ways that volunteers can benefit from volunteering are mentioned?
A learning how to be part of a team
B having a sense of purpose
C realising how lucky they are
D improved ability at time management
E boosting their employment prospects
Questions 15 – 20
What has each of the following volunteers helped someone to do?
Choose SIX answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-G, next to Questions 15-20.
What volunteers have helped people to do
A overcome physical difficulties
B rediscover skills not used for a long time
C improve their communication skills
D solve problems independently
E escape isolation
F remember past times
G start a new hobby
Part 3: Questions 21 – 26
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Background on school marching band
It consists of around (21) students.
It is due to play in a (22) band competition.
It has been invited to play in the town’s (23)
They have listened to a talk by a (24)
Joe will discuss a (25) with the band.
Joe hopes the band will attend a (26) next month.
Questions 27 – 30
What problem does Joe mention in connection with each of the following band members?
Choose FOUR answers from the box and write the correct letter, A-F, next to Questions 27-30.
A makes a lot of mistakes in rehearsals
B keeps making unhelpful suggestions
C has difficulty with rhythm
D misses too many rehearsals
E has a health problem
F doesn’t mix with other students
Part 4: Questions 31 – 40
Complete the notes below. Write ONE WORD AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer
Concerts in university arts festival
• Australian composer: Liza Lim
• studied piano and (31) before turning to composition
• performers and festivals around the world have given her a lot of commissions
• compositions show a great deal of (32) and are drawn from various cultural sources
• her music is very expressive and also (33)
• festival will include her (34) called The Oresteia
• Lim described the sounds in The Oresteia as (35)
• British composers: Ralph Vaughan Williams, Frederick Delius
• British composers: Benjamin Britten, Judith Weir
• Australian composer: Ross Edwards
• festival will include The Tower of Remoteness, inspired by nature
• The Tower of Remoteness is performed by piano and (36)
• compositions include music for children
• celebrates Australia’s cultural (37)
• Australian composer: Carl Vine
• played cornet then piano
• studied (38) before studying music
• worked in Sydney as a pianist and composer
• became well known as composer of music for (39)
• festival will include his music for the 1996 (40)