Part 1: Questions 1-8
Complete the form below. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Five Star Caterers – Customer Booking Form
Customer name: Mr. (1)
Daytime telephone number: (2)
Telephone number after 5 pm: As above (if no one answers, (3) )
Number of guests: (4)
Number of tables: (8)
Questions 9 and 10
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
9. The man decided to book
A a three course meal
B a buffet
C a banquet
10. The man will have to pay
A £750 tomorrow
B £100 per head
C £1500 on the day of the party
Part 2: Questions 11-17
According to the speaker, when did the following happen?
Write the correct letter A, B or C next to questions 11-17.
A before 1837
B between 1837 and 1900
C after 1900
11. The East Front was added to the building
12. The last big structural change was made
13. The building was bombed
14. The building became a palace
15. The building was known as The Queen’s House
16. The Houses of Parliament were destroyed by fire
17. The Marble Arch was moved
Complete the sentences below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/ OR A NUMBER for each answer.
18. Up to people attend garden parties at the palace each year.
19. The garden contains more than species of wild flower.
20. The public can visit the nineteen in August or September
Part 3: Questions 21-24
Answer the questions below. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
21. What aspect of history is it important to learn something from?
22. What do we also need to know about our ancestors?
23. Where are transferable skills useful?
24. What kind of approach to learning does social science use?
What is said each of these subjects studied on a social studies course?
Choose your answers from the list below and write the letters A-H next to questions 25-30.
A This will focus on how each generation learns about its own culture
B This necessarily includes a study of physics and chemistry
C This is studied from the point of view of human behavior
D This will only be covered in terms of its theory
E This also covers the distribution of wealth
F This includes the study of archaeology
G This has received criticism for not being scientific enough
H This includes some work on urban planning
30. Sociology and social work
Part 4: Questions 31-37
Choose the correct letter A, B or C.
31. Students should complete their work on the 1950s
A if they want to be allowed to continue attending lectures
B because they will appreciate the information about the 1960s more
C otherwise they face the possibility of being failed for their coursework
32. According to the lecturer, the ‘baby boom’ happened
A because of relaxed attitudes in the sixties
B during a time of war
C because people felt more secure
33. In the sixties the USA had 70 million
34. According to the lecturer, compared to the 1950s, the 1960s were
A less conservative
B more conservative
C just as conservative
35. According to the lecturer, literature changed the way women
A over 40 were treated by society
B viewed issues of race in society
C felt about their roles in society
36. The rate of crime in the sixties
A rose 9% during the decade
B was 9 times higher than in the fifties
C was 9 times lower than in the fifties
37. What happened at the start of the 1960s?
A the first heart transplant
B the introduction of the internet
C the invention of lasers
Complete the summary below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
In October, 1962, US President Kennedy met advisers to discuss (38) which proved that the Cubans were installing nuclear missiles, presumably to use against the US. Kennedy was faced with three choices: to try to resolve the crisis diplomatically; to block the delivery of further weapons into Cuba; or to attack Cuba. Kennedy chose (39) option, which prevented the build up of more missiles and led to the withdrawal of the existing ones. Most are agreed that a (40) was narrowly avoided by Kennedy’s decision.